There a multitude of reasons why implants have increased in popularity. These include:
- Americans are living longer
- Increased chance of tooth loss related to age
- Failure of bridges due to decay, root canal failures, and complexity of keeping bridges clean
- Terrible fit and function of dentures
- Emotional and psychological aspects of losing teeth
- The predictable and extremely successful long term prognosis of dental implants
- The tremendous advantages of implant supported dentures
Why do so many people choose tooth implants?
Dental implants are the best way to replace lost teeth because they look and feel the most like real teeth. Dental implants are different from other ways to replace teeth because they don’t slip or click when you talk, laugh, or eat. And they keep your cheekbones healthy so that the shape of your face stays the same.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a small post that is usually made of titanium and replaces the tooth’s root. A piece called an abutment is put on top of the dental implant or built into it. This ties the implant to the replacement tooth. The dental implant is finished with a crown, which is a replacement tooth made to look like your original teeth.
Implants have been in use for over thirty years. However, a lot of dentists have not kept up with modern dentistry advancements. I am lucky that during my dental training I received dental implant training from oral surgeons (specialists in surgery), periodontists (specialists in gum and bone tissue) and prosthodontists (specialists in restoring complex cases). A large part of my dental practice is devoted to dental implants. I pride myself in keeping current with the latest dental advancements. I do this by taking hands on lectures, reading textbooks and printed journals, and reading online journals. The amount of information and research that is available is amazing. To stay current I not only have to read what is happening in the United States, but also have to read research that comes out of Europe, Asia and South America. I would have never thought that I would get so excited about learning after I graduated dental school. Missing teeth can cause embarrassment, insecurity, and lowered self-confidence. Experience a happy and healthy smile with dental implants. If you are looking for a local leader in dental implants, then call my office at 713-941-8261 and schedule a dental implant consultation.
Dental Implant Replacing a Single Tooth
Dental Implants Stabilizing a Lower Denture
Why are dental implants so popular? Here are some popular reasons:
- Looks natural and fits well. Dental implants are made to feel, look, and work just like your real teeth. Also, implants give patients the courage to smile, eat, and do social things without worrying about how they look or if their dentures will fall out.
- Reliable and lasts a long time. With the right care and upkeep, implants can last forever.
- Dental implants prevent bone loss. When there are empty spots in the jawbone where teeth used to be, the bone can weaken because it isn’t being used. Also, if the space left by the missing tooth isn’t filled in after a year, the bone in that area will lose up to 25% of its volume and continue to get smaller over time.
- A high chance of success. When they are well planned and looked for, dental implants usually last as long as or longer than other ways to replace teeth. And as technology and methods for implants get better. Implants are most likely to work for people who are in good health.
- Better ability to chew and eat. Like real teeth, dental implants are fixed to your jaw bone. Over time, they will help keep the jaw bone healthy and stop a lot of bone loss. When you get implants to replace lost teeth, you can chew your food better and speak more clearly.
- Changes to the face and bones. When you get a traditional bridge, you have to cut down the teeth next to it. With dental implants, you don’t have to do that. They will also keep the bone healthy and stop the breakdown and loss of bone that causes the jawbone to get shorter. Dental implants also help repair the structure of your jawbone because they lighten the load on your remaining oral structures and teeth, protect natural tooth tissue, and slow down bone resorption and deterioration, which can cause your jawbone to lose height.
- Better diet and nutrients. You can chew your food better with dental implants, and you can eat a wider range of foods. If you are missing teeth or have dentures that don’t fit well, it may be hard for you to eat things that are hard, crunchy, or chewy. By giving you back the ability to eat a healthy, balanced diet, dental implants can help you keep your overall health in good shape and avoid malnutrition.
- More confidence in oneself. When you’re missing teeth, you might feel embarrassed and not want to smile or talk in public. Dental implants can help you feel better about yourself by giving you a beautiful smile that looks natural. This can be good for your social life, your personal interactions, and your health as a whole.
- Ease of use and comfort. Dental implants are a handy and comfortable way to get a dental restoration that requires little care. A dental implant feels and works like a real tooth, while dentures can be uncomfortable, don’t fit well, or need glue to stay in place. Implants can be looked for just like natural teeth, so you can keep eating and doing the things you love without having to worry about your dental restoration.
- Better speech. As was already said, lost teeth or dentures that don’t fit well can make it hard to speak. Dental implants can help fix this problem and make it easier for you to speak clearly and naturally, which can help both your personal and business life.
- Lasts for a long time. Dental implants are made to replace lost teeth for a long time. If you take good care of them, they can last for many years. This is especially important for people who don’t want to have to replace their tooth fillings or crowns very often. Seniors can get peace of mind and stability from dental implants because they are a permanent option.
- Better teeth health. Dental implants can help keep the jaw bone dense and stop nearby teeth from moving or coming loose. This is very important for older people, who may be more likely to get gum disease and tooth damage. By keeping the mouth’s natural shape, dental implants can help keep your oral health in good shape and lower the chance of future dental problems.
Patients from Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, League City and Houston Texas come to Dr. Nugent for is experience with Dental Implants.
Dr. Nugent has been voted BEST DENTIST in PASADENA TEXAS multiple times.
Visit us at 3421 Burke Rd Ste A, Pasadena Texas 77504.
Or just simply call us at 713-941-8261.