What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is a bacterial infection of the gum tissue that supports the teeth. It is a chronic infection of the gum tissue that will not resolve on its own. Periodontal disease attacks just below the gum line, where it causes the gum tissue that supports the teeth to break down. As gum tissues is damaged, pockets develop. Generally, the more severe the periodontal disease, the deeper the pocket. When periodontal disease is not the teeth will become loose and need to be extracted.
Your trusted Pasadena, Deer Park Dentist, Dr. Nugent, is ready to give you leading care for the treatment of periodontal disease.
What are the risk factors for periodontal disease?
- Poor oral hygiene
- Not routinely going to the dentist for cleanings
- Chewing tobacco
- Medications (steroids, anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, some calcium channel blockers)
- Poorly contoured bridges
- Crooked teeth
- Defective fillings
- Pregnancy (due to hormone changes)
Here are some suggestions from Dr. Nugent on how you can prevent gum disease.
The Warning Signs of Gum Disease:
- Gums that bleed easily — healthy gums do not bleed!
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Constant bad breath or bad taste in mouth
- Teeth that are loose or separating
- Changes in the way your teeth fit together
- Change in the fit of partial dentures
Did you know that it’s possible and very common, to have periodontal disease and have no symptoms or pain? Only your dentist or hygienist can tell you if you have periodontal disease. Checking to see if you have periodontal disease is done by using a probe (metal ruler) and measuring the pockets around your teeth. Healthy measurements of the pockets are 3mm or less. Pockets of 4mm and greater indicate periodontal disease. Therefore, regular dental checkups are important.
Speaking of checkups with your local dentist, are you due for one? If so, be sure to call us now at 713-941-8261 if you are experiencing any of the warning signs of periodontal disease. Our office is located at 3421 Burke Rd Ste A, Pasadena, Texas 77504. Get the best in dental care for you and your family.