Deer Park Texas Dentistry:
Preventive dental care is important part of life, no matter your age. Great dental care starts at home and is supplemented by scheduling regular checkups with Dr. Nugent and his team. Our Pasadena dental office wants you to keep your smile bright and healthy.
Here are a few east ways that you can avoid the build-up of plaque and cavities:
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day (three times would be awesome) with an electric toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your teeth. Don’t forget to also brush the top surface of your tongue as this will get rid of any extra plaque-causing food particles, and keeps your breath fresh!
2. Flossing once a day will get plaque and bacteria out from in between your teeth. Using a bacteria fighting mouthwash kills bacteria and freshen your breath. Cavity causing bacteria lingers between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This is why it is vital to floss daily.
3. Schedule regular checkups with Dr. Nugent and his Hygienists every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
If it’s been six months since your last dental checkup, then it’s time to contact our Pasadena, Texas Dental office and schedule your next dental appointment!
What are some examples of common preventative dentistry services?
Preventive dentistry services may include the following:
- Oral exams are performed on a regular basis, usually every 6 months.
- X-rays on a regular basis
- Teeth brushing
What role do you play in preventive dental care?
You are the source of much of your preventive dental care. Early development of excellent dental habits can help decrease cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis.
Here are the fundamentals of excellent dental health:
Brush your teeth at least twice a day, preferably in the morning and at night, with a soft bristles brush and fluoride toothpaste. Your dentist can advise you on the best toothbrush and toothpaste to use. They can also show you how to brush properly.
Floss everyday to remove food lodged between teeth before it becomes plaque.
After flossing, rinse your mouth with mouthwash to remove any remaining food particles.
Avoid acidic meals, which can erode tooth enamel.
Hard foods, such as some candies, and foods containing bones, seeds, or pits, can damage or chip teeth.
Don’t smoke or use tobacco products because they can cause cancer and other tooth issues.
When engaging in contact sports, use a mouth guard.
Ask your dentist for a nighttime mouth guard if you grind your teeth at night to help decrease gum recession.
What are the advantages of preventive dental care?
Regular preventative dental exams enhance your oral health in the following ways:
- Reduces your chances of acquiring tooth decay, gum disease, and other major dental issues.
- Encourages proper dental hygiene behaviors such as brushing and flossing at least twice a day.
- Early detection of dental disorders may aid in reducing treatment and costs.
- Allows your dentist to perform a thorough examination of your mouth, jaw, neck, and other areas to uncover any potential concerns.
- Aids in the reduction of dental issues associated with certain chronic medical illnesses. Diabetes, osteoporosis, some malignancies, and eating disorders can all impair tooth and oral health. Regular preventative dental care is a vital element of overall health for persons with chronic illnesses.
Dr. Nugent is a Family Dentist that is located at 3421 Burke Rd Ste A, Pasadena, Texas 77504. He has a strong commitment to General, Family, Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry. Come see why so many Deer Park residents use our office. Check out our New Patient Special Offer.