Dental Exams and Cleanings: Preventing Problems Before They Start
The health of your teeth and mouth is important to the health of your entire body. Good oral hygiene of routine brushing and flossing at home is vital. Furthermore, routine dental visits with Dr. Nugent and your Dental Hygienist is also imperative. The American Dental Association recommends that patients see the dentist every six months to safeguard your dental health.
By routinely seeing our Pasadena, Texas Dental Office for exams and cleanings, you can:
- Prevent cavities, gum disease and bad breath
- Find problems early and fix the immediately
- Save money by avoiding costly and extensive dental procedures on large problems
- Maintain healthy white teeth by reducing staining from food and drinks
- Shorten the time spent in the dental chair
- Have a radiant smile to last a lifetime
The Dental Exam
During your exam, Dr. Nugent will systematically examine your teeth and gums for signs of tooth decay, gum disease and other dental problems. Dr. Nugent may also need to take digital x-rays to see what is happening beneath the surface of your teeth and gums. Dental x-rays provided crucial information that is not visible in the mouth. Better diagnosis with digital x-rays help Dr. Nugent discover dental issues not visible to the naked eye.
Your amazing dental hygienist will begin your cleaning by examining the surfaces of all your teeth. She is looking for cavities and to check the condition of existing fillings. Next, the dental hygienist will perform a periodontal exam to measure the health of your gum tissue and to check for periodontal disease.
Your hygienist will carefully clean your teeth with a variety of instrument to remove calculus (tartar) from your teeth. Your teeth will be cleaned and polished. Lastly, the hygienist will floss your teeth and apply fluoride to strengthen your teeth.
Your dentist will do a full dental exam during your initial dental visit. Your dentist and hygienist will do the following during routine check-ups:
- Examining diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): This is necessary for detecting deterioration, malignancies, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays can also be used to assess tooth and root locations.
- Gum disease diagnosis: Examine the gums and bone surrounding the teeth for symptoms of periodontal disease.
- Screening for oral cancer: Check for indications of oral cancer on the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums.
- Tooth decay examination: Using special dental instruments, all tooth surfaces will be evaluated for deterioration.
- Examine existing restorations: Examine current fillings, crowns, and so on.
Dental Cleaning by a Professional
Registered Dental Hygienists often perform professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis). Your cleaning session will include a dental exam as well as the following services:
Calculus (tartar) removal: Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for a period of time and has been firmly bonded to the tooth surface. Calculus develops above and below the gum line and may only be removed with specialized dental tools.
Plaque removal: Plaque is a film that builds on the teeth that is sticky and practically undetectable. It is a colony of living bacteria, food detritus, and saliva that is expanding. Toxins (poisons) produced by the bacteria cause gum inflammation. Periodontal disease begins with inflammation!
Teeth polishing: Removes stains and plaque that are not eliminated by brushing and scaling.
Our office is located at 3421 Burke Rd Ste A, Pasadena, Texas. Dr. Nugent is a leading family dentist that has a strong focus on family, general, implant and sedation dentistry. Discover what award winning dentistry can offer you. Choose the best dentist for you and your family. Call our office today at 713-941-8261.