Dentist Pasadena, Deer Park Texas:
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Nugent at your initial dental visit. Any problems or patient concerns will be addressed at this time. Then at regular check-up exams, Dr. Nugent and your hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of digital x-rays (radiographs): These are essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. Furthermore, our office use the Velscope advanced oral cancer detection light.
- Gum tissue evaluation: Checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease is vital. More people lose their teeth to gum disease then decay. Furthermore, gum disease does not hurt. You can have gum disease destroying your gum and bone tissue and not even know it.
- Check for tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments. Also, Dr. Nugent uses a cavity detecting laser to help find cavities early.
- Check existing dental restorations: Dr. Nugent will evaluate the status of your current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed by our amazing Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque and bacteria that has mineralized. Once this cement substance attaches to the teeth only you hygienist can remove it. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and will be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, white film that forms on the teeth. Plaque is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease! Proper home care that includes brushing three times a day with an electric toothbrush and flossing once a day prevents plaque from forming on your teeth.
- Teeth polishing: Your hygienist will remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Dr. Nugent is a Family Dentist in Pasadena, Texas. He is located at 3421 Burke Rd, Ste A, Pasadena, Texas. Dr. Nugent’s office focuses on Cosmetic, Family, Implant and Sedation Dentistry. Discover why our office has generations of family members at our office and why Dr. Nugent has been voted BEST PASADENA TEXAS DENTIST multiple times. Call our office today at 713-941-8261 today to discover our award winning dentistry.